Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Day 17 - Cultural Production vs. Consumption

Watched a film online, which strictly speaking goes against my vow of chastity. But it was a short mockumentary made by someone I know, and while admittedly I was entertained, it wasn't on the tawdry level that I'm seeking to avoid. See for yourself and decide: The Infringement: a comedy in one dmcAct

Speaking of friends actually daring to do something out there, last weekend someone else I know put together a Brevkväll/Letter Night. He was inspired by a radio piece from This American Life about one in Chicago that took place over two nights (shaved down to an hour of empathetic cringing & gut laughs - well worth listening to). People were invited up to the mike to read any letter, email, text message or note that they had written, received or just ran across. Any and all subject matter allowed of course, the only restriction being a 5 minute time limit. It took place in a cafe above a small theater and the room was packed. I read part of a letter from a book of James Agee's correspondence, but was all nerves and could barely get through it.

Performing so informally & briefly for a crowd of 50 people shouldn't be that difficult. My first instinct is to blame the godless amount of drone time spent in front of that infernal glass bucket. I know, too easy. But still.

Anyhow, enough whinging. As well as being one of the letter readers, I was the evening's designated cameraman. A couple nights ago when a few of us got together and watched the tape, I felt as if I'd knocked a tiny fraction off my debt from all those years of consuming culture and producing woefully little in return.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home